Travel Writer, Editor and Photojournalist
I have produced features on Wales, Scotland, Madeira, Namibia and the Canary Islands for the midweek and weekend travel sections of the newspaper. I’ve also contributed to a major feature on holiday cottages in the UK.
I’m one of the team of writers contributing to the travel pages of The Guardian and The Observer, in print and online.
For the launch issue of the magazine, I produced an 8-page feature on South Africa.
I have since followed this up with features on responsible tourism in the Kunene region of northwest Namibia, gastronomy in Oman and Africa’s best family safari holidays, among many others.
Some of the features I’ve written for National Geographic Traveller magazine appear on the NGT UK website, here.
My professional association with this highly regarded travel magazine spans over ten years, including two and a half years as editor.
- Zambia: bat-watching in Kasanka National Park
- Zambia: on safari with Jonathan Scott of the BBC’s Big Cat Week
- Namibia: a dynamic new responsible tourism project in the remote northwest
- Mauritius: much more than just a millionnaire’s paradise
- São Tomé and Príncipe: tragic past, shining future
- Loango National Park, Gabon: Africa’s last Eden
- Tracking lowland gorillas and meeting BaAka pygmies in Dzanga Sangha National Park, Central African Republic
- A year of African music festivals: Mali’s Festival au Desert, Essaouira’s Gnawa Festival, Malawi’s Lake of Stars Festival, The Gambia’s Roots Festival, the St Louis Jazz Festival in Senegal, and many more
- Zanzibar: dolphins, spices and the joys of getting lost in Stone Town
- Should you visit Zimbabwe? An in-depth report on the effects of economic and political instability on tourism in Victoria Falls, Hwange and the Matobo Hills
- Quirimbas Archipelago, northern Mozambique, a coast of peace and plenty: exploring an ecotourism success story
- Sir David Attenborough: interview
I’ve been an active member of the Rough Guides team of travel authors and researchers for over 15 years. I’m the original author/co-author of the following titles:
First-Time Africa – The Rough Guide (Fully revised ed, 2011)
Everything you need to know about Africa before you go.
in reviews... Great overview Deborah Verlen, reader review
The Rough Guide to East Coast Australia (1st ed, 2008)
The thinking traveller’s guide to a superb coastal region. Winner, Travel Guide Book of the Year (Travel Press Awards, 2009).
For full details, please visit my East Coast Australia website.
in reviews... Fab book BJ Woodhouse, reader review
The Rough Guide to the Gambia (2nd ed, 2006; 1st ed, 2003)
The most comprehensive guide to this appealing West African country, with a focus on responsible, sustainable community tourism and birdwatching.
in reviews... Book of the week Anthony Sattin, The Sunday Times, UK
Rough Guide DIRECTIONS Lanzarote and Fuerteventura (1st ed, 2006)
The only guidebook aimed specifically for independent travellers wishing to discover the ‘real’ Lanzarote. Detailed coverage of the island, plus a short section on neighbouring Fuerteventura.
in reviews... Cool Canaries Rhiannon Batten, The Observer, UK
As well as producing entire books for Rough Guides, I regularly contribute features, research and photos to several other titles in the series, including the following:
Rough Guides Destination Guides
West Africa • Egypt • Australia
Rough Guides Inspirational Guides (Make The Most series)
Time on Earth (1st ed) • Time on Earth (2nd ed) • Time in Britain • World Party
Rough Guides 25 Ultimate Experiences
Africa • Adventure Travel • Wonders of the World • Wildlife Adventures
OTHER TRAVEL GUIDES
California Responsible Travel Guide (ResponsibleTravel.com) (1st ed, 2013)
A green guide to the state, co-written in association with Visit California and published online by ResponsibleTravel.com.
Brighton & Hove (Cool Places) (2nd ed 2011; 1st ed, 2010)
A snappy guide to Brighton and Hove, published in iPod / iPhone / iPad app format and available from the iTunes App Store.
Lanzarote and Fuerteventura (AA TwinPack Guide) (Fully revised ed, 2010)
A concise guide to Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, produced for the immensely popular AA TwinPack travel guide series.
Cape Verde Islands (Berlitz Pocket Guide) (1st ed, 2009)
The first pocket-sized guide to Cape Verde for English-speaking island-hoppers.
in reviews... Featured on Simon Calder's Travel Clinic, LBC Radio
Please respect the copyright of the text and photos on this website. All rights reserved.
© Emma Gregg
Travel Writer, Editor & Photojournalist
desk +44 20 7100 4232
mobile +44 7976 607255
email via this link